FAVORITE INTERVIEW MOMENTS WITH INTERNATIONAL CELEBS

by - April 19, 2018



Meeting new people and let us tell each other's stories is something that I been sincerely loving since a kid. It gets me the feeling of being inspired and inspiring in return. I believe this is how a conversation between two persons or more should be. Because in the end, all of us must be expecting something worthwhile to spend time with, don't you agree?

Maybe that is the background reason why I do really love the job of being a reporter in media fields. Started from a franchise brand CosmoGIRL! Indonesia magazine to a local brand Gadis magazine in my country, Indonesia, I did a lot of works I totally enjoy and love the most. Writing, photoshoot, fashion styling, making creative contents and not to mention, interviewing people who none can easily meet and have conversations with in just that's it.

It was such best moments in life that I still imagine it as if I got into the last scene of The Pursuit of Happynes (2006) mixed with The Devil Wears Prada (2006). For sure, the most thing I love is when I got the opportunity to do interviews with so many great influencers. Above all, I definitely got attracted so much with the experiences of interviewing international celebrities from Hollywood to South Korea.

Flashing back to those incredible moments, I remember how happy I was in doing everything needed. From the preparation that I took very seriously in doing research and selecting in-depth questions, to the day when I finally met them. It felt so exciting that my heart almost jumped out because of the enthusiasm spread in my body. And for that, I would like to share my experiences that I admire the most here.
Dok. CosmoGIRL! Indonesia
The Sam Willows is a Singaporean pop band consisting of four members: the siblings Narelle and Benjamin Kheng together with their friends, Sandra Riley Tang and Jonathan Chua. They also became the first international influencers I ever interviewed during my work experiences in CosmoGIRL! Indonesia magazine. Interestingly, it happened in my very first days in 2016.

Kak Arzia Nuari as a Feature & Lifestyle editor who I love calling with "Kakjiaaaaa" was really kind to give me the opportunity to get into the real field of interviewing people. I remember she told me that I had to learn for real and she kinda believed that I could do it. Luckily enough, she gave me the first try toward overseas influencers from Asia to whom I had to do it in English.

Definitely, I was really excited but nervous at the same time. I prepared everything very seriously as if I were about to get into an important national exam. From doing research about who they are and what kinda music they present, to pay attention to my outfit style for the day. As usual, I chose everything in blacks because my cabinets filled enough with those colors.

But before jumping to the day, I would like to mention my beautiful friend Lucy Lie who helps me a lot in informing me about The Sam Willows (she is a huge fan for real). Cause honestly, I didn't really know about them and their music. I listened to different kinda genres of music but Singaporean music was new to me and even for my country. But after getting the information, doing research and listening to their singles, I can say that their music is really catchy and easy-listening to enjoy.
She totally came waiting for me because of the interview lol
Ah! One message from my editor, "Every time you are about to do an interview with any musician, you gotta listen to their songs to know what kinda of music they bring in." So, it should not only about doing research by online and other similar ways but you must experience it yourself. From that important point, I always do it including to actors or actresses whom I will watch one of their movies before doing the interview.

So now, moving on to the day. I remember it happened in afternoon specifically after having lunch with my two editors who would see how I was gonna do it. It was quite scary at first because the interview was done in round-table which means I must share the limited time given by the agency with other media fields. To remind you, it was my very first experience of interviewing influencers and specifically international influencers, that my editors instructed me to ask this and that for the purpose of my writing in the magazine.

So much pressure, right? But, talking about how I handled it. I started by building a friendly relationship with other reporters and together, we make a fair agreement about how we should ask one by one. After that, just be friendly and nice with the influencers. It includes the fact that you gotta pay attention to their answers and give such responses a lil bit but make sure to never cut their talking before finish. So, from there, the interview was done successfully and smoothly.

And you know what, my friend Lucy Lie was such a savior for ice breaking after the interview. I tried building a conversation with each of the members by telling them that my friend was a huge fan. I even showed them the messages from Lucy who happened to wait for me in the location (so cute, huh!). For that, I could take a picture with them together and just randomly talk about music from the hotel room we did an interview to a hotel lift toward the lobby floor. What a great moment!
Dok. CosmoGIRL! Indonesia
Since her single Be The One in 2015, who doesn't even know the international sensation singer Dua Lipa? No one, right? At least, that's how I got introduced with this pretty UK-based singer even though she has actually been known already by a lot of music lovers through her covering songs on YouTube channel and her first single New Love (2015) that is totally listed in my playlist.

So, unquestionably, the moment when my another Feature & Lifestyle editor, Sarah Sofiana, asked me to join her doing the interview with Dua Lipa, it totally got me in any possible good feeling I love the most. Just like the previous experiences, I definitely did my best. From doing research while listening to her music, listing the interview questions that sound important and correlated with the chosen theme, to working together with the editors for the approval of the concept.

After that, the day came and I guess, I did a pretty good job since I had grown during my experiences in CosmoGIRL! Indonesia magazine. But to sum up about the reason behind interviewing Dua Lipa is one of my favorites, it is because I love her music already. So, knowing that I was about to meet her in real life and had such beautiful conversations must be totally something exciting that makes me grateful to have that kinda opportunity.

I remember during the round-table interview, she was so nice and friendly in welcoming the reporters and answering each question. You know what, she really looked into our eyes so warmly while listening to our questions and even answering them. I love how she showed her professionalism in dealing with the reporters and even fans who waited outside for her little performances in the office of Warner Music Indonesia.

But before that, I got the chance to show my sincere appreciation for her music after the interview. I came to her very carefully and she welcomed me with a friendly and beautiful smile. I showed the CosmoGIRL! Indonesia magazine with her as the cover girl and she looked so happy that she just grabbed it for herself. In fact, I actually planned to ask for her signature on the magazine haha but that might be better. I mean, she could have that, right?

That is totally the cutest moment ever with an international singer like Dua Lipa. Not to mention, I think she is so respectful with people including those who work in media industries because she even posted our CosmoGIRL! Indonesia magazine with her as the cover girl on her Instagram account. Talking about this, Dua Lipa admitted that she really concerned about social media that it is her who uses it. So if she posted something or even replied yours, it is really from her directly!


Started his career as a member of a Korean boyband MBLAQ, Thunder or Cheondong must be familiar for any Korean Pop or Kpop lover. Not to mention, Cheondong himself is a lil brother of Sandara Park, whose name is legitimate hit in Korean Pop industry since her career as a member of 2NE1 under YG Entertainment. So, basically, that is the general background of the first Korean celebrity I ever interviewed during my whole career since 2016.

Specifically, it happened when I moved working with Gadis magazine, that has a different character with CosmoGIRL! Indonesia magazine. So, of course, I learned a lot about new stuff. Luckily enough, during the events of Jakarta Fashion Week 2018 held in October 2017 that Gadis contributed as well, I got trusted to do project series with Thunder for his promotion on starring in an Indonesian movie Forever Holiday in Bali (2018).

From interviewing him for the magazine and its digital website to creating quick yet creative contents for the YouTube video. As I got excited, I definitely worked hard on doing my best in preparing everything. Basically, the process I went through was not much different from my previous experiences of interviewing other overseas influencers. Doing the research, watching some videos, listing the questions in English and ensuring everything needed is well-prepared.

So, when the day finally came, I totally did not feel pressured or even nervous. Together with other fellas from Gadis magazine which I thank God, Kak Inang as Fashion Editor accompanied me, I did the interview and whole other contents in about 1 hour and I really enjoyed the moment. He was really friendly and nice by answering each question and instruction professionally. I love his facial expressions that are so cute in responding the questions translated by an interpreter.

The interpreter was actually an Indonesian who obviously can speak our language, English and definitely Korean. But somehow, I chose to speak in English instead of Indonesia so that Cheondong could possibly try to understand during our conversation. And it totally worked! 

During the interview, I felt like Cheondong really paid attention to what I said as I used English during the whole process. He sometimes smiled, laughed and stuff like that. Still, based on my first experience of interviewing a Korean celebrity, I kinda think that I should try learning Korean as we know the status quo right now that the country is getting more popular. I bet, it would be helpful for my career as I also love Korean culture as well.

So, that is all my experiences in interviewing international celebrities overseas. To be honest, it is quite difficult to select which one is my favorite because all of them give me different experiences leaving such distinctive impressions. From Panama, Maggie Lindemann, Jasmine Thompson and many more. But the three of them represent something. 

From my very first experience of interviewing influencers, meeting a musician who I constantly listen to her songs, to another new experience of interviewing a Korean celebrity. These totally sum up the reason why they are my favorite interview moments. I wish I could have another same opportunity that I totally expect coming from BTS, Taylor Swift, Phoenix and LANY #FANGIRLINGMODEON


You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Ha those were the days man! Love u kak Mar! XXX

    Here's a post where we both came to last
    SHINEE's concert with full 5 member in Jakarta
    X,
    LILSHELULLABIES

    ReplyDelete